Monday, May 25, 2009

More Bread

I've been a terrible blogger lately. Just before my week-long hiatus I had stumbled across a cool website that challenges you to write a blog post every day for 30 days. At the time I thought, "Oh yeah, I could do that no problem." Oops. There hasn't been a whole lot going on in the garden but certainly enough that I could have found something to blog about. There has been a lot going on in the kitchen, and I'd like to share some of the fun recipes I've tried and some that I'm dying to try, but first I need to write an update on where I am in the Bread Baker's Apprentice challenge.
I think I'm doing quite well in keeping up with the pace. I made my Anadama bread last weekend, and it was delicious. Here's a photo:
I also made another loaf of Multigrain (my third) which is still my favorite for sandwiches so far to send to my mother. I think the family liked the Anadama better though. They polished it off quickly for cinnamon toast. I finished off my second loaf of Multigrain last week with some delicious croutons. They barely even made it into the salad. The Multigrain is delicious in this Vegan sandwich:Toast two slices of bread. Mash up an avocado and spread it on one slice of bread. Top with slices of tomatoes and sprouts. Spread Vegennaise on the other slice. Put your sandwich together and voila.
I ate this at least 3 times last week. Heavenly! (I thought that with the avocado, I wouldn't really need or notice the Vegennaise, but it definitely made a yummy difference.) Oh, and I used rice milk in place of the regular milk in the bread recipe.
So, moving on to my next recipe, this week's was Artos or Greek Celebration breads. I loved the beautiful little bread curly-Q's in the picture of the Chistopsomos bread, so I made that shape but didn't include the dried fruit and nuts. I kind of which I had, but I got lazy at the last minute, and I wanted to save the last of my walnuts for this hummus recipe, I'm going to make later today. I definitely need to work on my dough shaping skills, but I think it's still quite pretty. I snuck a little slice last night before letting it cool the recommended one hour, and I must say I wasn't crazy about the flavor, but maybe toasted with some butter and cinnamon sugar or as french toast. Here it is:

I used the wild yeast starter as the recipe recommended, so I was quite proud of myself for feeding it and taking care of it all week. Now that I have it, I think I should skip to the end of the book and use it in one of the sourdough recipes. I have to read more to figure out how I'm supposed to continue to feed it.

Anyway, I think I'll go down to the kitchen now and try another slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment