Monday, May 11, 2009

Welcome to my Urban Peasant Blog!

I'm currently totally obsessed with gardening. I think my friends, family, and coworkers are a little tired of hearing about it, so I wanted to start blogging about it both to keep track of what I've done and to share my excitement with others. (For some reason, I have a hard time finding other people who get as obsessively involved in their hobbies as I do. I like to think that I'm just a really enthusiastic person, but it's probably more that those people are much better at balancing all the parts of their lives.) We live in the city, and for some reason, ever since we (mostly me) started gardening, my husband has been calling us "Urban Peasants" thus the name of the blog. (Completely unrelated to the famous Canadian chef I just found out about in my web surfing.) Most of the time, I really like the "Urban" part. I love our city, and all it's conveniences and opportunities, but lately I've been dreaming about a farm with rolling grassy meadows with stands of lilac bushes and fruit trees and a big barn and chickens and on and on. Then I come back to reality and realize I can't even get grass to grow in our little yard. We're pretty lucky as far as urban gardening goes. We don't have to grow our garden on the roof or anything. We actually have about a sixteenth of an acre complete with several lilacs and one very big apple tree. Maybe if I can perfect our little urban farm after a few years, I'll graduate to something bigger. By then I probably won't want to leave all my perennials anyway. The "peasant" part, however, is getting a little old. I often hear people say that they don't want to be rich, they just want to not have to worry about money. I found myself thinking about all the different levels of not worrying about money. That used to mean to me that the car could break down, and I'd have enough money to get it fixed. Now, I'd like to be able to drive my kid to a school event in the next town and not have to scrounge around for the toll money. Oh well, again, I can't complain. I have a house, a job, really everything I need. Best of all, I was able to set up 4 4x4 foot square foot gardens a la Mel Bartholomew and his Square Foot Gardening. More about that tomorrow, since that's what this blog is supposed to be about. Thanks for reading! p.s. I'm off to read about composting.

No comments:

Post a Comment